Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] file i/o under linux
From: Gruenke, Matt (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-16 12:13:08

I'm definitely planning to take a look.

I started experimenting with Posix Async I/O and found aio_suspend() use a design that scales poorly and have high overhead, under Linux. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to interoperate natively with other forms of I/O multiplexing (perhaps as reflected in your dedicated io_service limitation). On Linux, it has several significant limitations: it doesn't work on certain filesystem types, writing can still sometimes block, and it forces O_DIRECT - which disables caching and imposes alignment limitations. Even without the implementation issues, I would not recommend using this interface.

I did not experiment with the signals approach, but I'm also concerned about the overhead and scalability of that model. Furthermore, it didn't seem to fit ASIO's architecture as cleanly.

I also did not experiment with native Linux API, though I believe it shares the limitations of the Posix AIO implementation. One benefit of the native Linux interface is that I believe you can get a file descriptor that you can use with epoll() to drive it with a normal io_service.

Matt