Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC Proposal Preparation For Encoding Awared String
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 18:02:59

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:36:31 -0500
Andrew Sutton <asutton.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I think there are several options that I can choose for my project:
>> 1. To use Chad Nelson's code as base, try to incorporate other ideas
>> proposed in the mailing list, integrate with Boost.Locale, and make
>> it Boost quality to submit for review. If this option is chosen, I
>> wish that Chad Nelson can be my mentor.
>
> This seems feasible.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know if Chad is available or willing to be a
> mentor.

I'm willing, and I should be available, depending on the time it
requires. Up to a couple hours a day shouldn't be a problem.

> [...] Was there any consensus on why std::string could or could not be
> parameterized with UTF-specific character traits? That seems, on the
> surface, like a possible solution. I was following the discussions but
> not as closely as others :)

I believe I mentioned trying it, and Artyom responded with some
well-thought-out reasons why it wouldn't work, but I can't find the
message now.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.