Subject: Re: [boost] Unable to build boost python library in 1.46.1
From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-25 13:37:43

Richard Hadsell wrote:
> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> Does that path have a file called pyconfig.h in it? If not, you might
>> need to add something to your user-config or site-config file that
>> gives the correct #include path.
>>

> Yes, it does. And Boost 1.41.0 and 1.44.0 built the python library
> with no problem finding the headers.
>>> error: No best alternative for /python_for_extensions
>>> next alternative: required properties: <python>2.5 <target-os>linux
>>> matched
>>> next alternative: required properties: <python>2.5 <target-os>linux
>>> matched
>>> error: No best alternative for /python_for_extensions
>>> next alternative: required properties: <python>2.5 <target-os>linux
>>> matched
>>> next alternative: required properties: <python>2.5 <target-os>linux
>>> matched
>>>

>> I've never really understood the logic behind Boost.Build's matching
>> of alternatives. I think the messages above are probably innocuous,
>> but they could be a problem (possibly related to
>> https://trac.lvk.cs.msu.su/boost.build/wiki/AlternativeSelection).
>> You should ask about that on the boost.build mailing list.
Problem solved.

There was a project-config.jam file in the boost home directory. It was
left over from an earlier errant execution of bootstrap.sh (in the home
directory). This extra config file confused the configuration process,
as evidenced by the second set of [python-cfg] notices and the "No best
alternative for /python_for_extensions" messages.

Thank you for looking at the problem for me.

--
Dick Hadsell			203-992-6320  Fax: 203-992-6001
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]