Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC Proposal Preparation For Encoding Awared String
From: Soares Chen (crf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-26 17:49:34

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the link to Boost.Text! I think I missed it in the discussion I read.

Yes, indeed I think we all share similar ideas. Other than difference
in design, I think the concept is quite similar to Chad's Unicode
string library, though I don't know whether you two have seen each
other's code.

Basically, my concept is also something like adding one more template
parameter to your basic_text class to generalize string_type. Other
than that, you have pretty much demonstrated my motivation to build
such a class.

One simple question to ask: May I know why is your class holding
shared_ptr<basic_string<>> as the private member instead of simply
basic_string<>? If I'm not wrong, basic_string<> is already a smart
pointer to the underlying buffer and most implementation offers handy
COW semantics. Or is there a need to wrap basic_string<> in
shared_ptr<> because not all basic_string<> implementation is
efficient?

Thanks.