Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Interest in BGL v2?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-28 15:53:08

At Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:12:46 -0400,
Michael Lopez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My name is Michael and, if there is enough interest from the mailing list, I
> will be submitting an application for GSoC 2011 to work on the BGL v2. I
> have been working on a project called Origin (
> http://code.google.com/p/origin/), when time permits, that houses the code
> that I intend to integrate into boost. The project was started by Andrew
> Sutton and I have taken an active role in its creation. The new library
> focuses on ease of use, replacement of property maps for labels, data
> structures with more concise and clear semantics, a new graph concept
> hierarchy, implementing graph algorithms to align with STL abstractions,
> and, finally, integrate C++0x into the BGL.

Sounds exciting!

> I have already worked on the existing BGL back in 2009 for GSoC. While
> working on the BGL, I started seeing opportunities to bring the BGL more
> in-line with modern techniques and practices. I found that the library,
> though robust and quite mature, was lacking in some areas. The most
> unavoidable being C++0x support. The other design concern was that some of
> the data structures felt more like meta-programs.

If you're referring to adjacency_list, then I can only say that
generative data structures pretty much always feel like
metaprograms... because they _are_ metaprograms.

Are you planning to move away from generative programming in BGLv2?

> This is no good since a meta-program generates types that may model
> one of many concepts.

In what way does that make it "no good?"

> Another feature that has been on BGL's want list is the
> implementation of algorithm objects.

For example?

--
Dave Abrahams