Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC]SIMD Library
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-31 06:49:13

"Mathias Gaunard" <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> On 30/03/2011 15:11, Domagoj Saric wrote:
>
>> ps. does NT2 provide a way to choose/use multiple instruction sets?
>
> Not out of the box.
> What you could do is compile your code several times with different
> options and make each version into a separate dll, then select the right
> dll to load at runtime.
>
> Alternatively you could also compile the code at runtime.
>
> We have things that can do that in the work for NT2 that we use for
> OpenCL.

Yes but 'runtime compilation' and/or separate DLLs are not always the ideal
(or possible) solution...If you could provide something along the lines of
what Cory Nelson suggested that would be great :)

Otherwise we are left with the awkwardness of making a header template that
is included in different .cpp files compiled with different preprocessor
directives...

>> Important so that one can, for example, detect the level of SSE
>> supported by the machine and switch to an appropriate routine...
>
> Boost.SIMD does not have knowledge of high-level routines, and obviously
> you don't want to switch on each basic function...

Of course, I was thinking of higher level routines (whether provided by the
library or by me/the user)...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than