Subject: [boost] GSoC idea
From: Brestin Seby (razyelx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-31 13:00:55

Hello, my name is Sebastian Brestin. I am a student from Romania and I am really looking forward to working for C++ Boost library.

I have noticed that in the past years Boost has proposed many times on building a library for operations on Big Integers, yet I do not find any implementation in boost_1_46_1 .

Also I have noticed that many students choose Java over C++ in algorithm contests, because Java has a built-in library that permits operations on Big Numbers.

As I have seen that so far neither STL, nor Boost have implemented operations over Big Numbers, I suggest to implement those operations over Big Numbers:

- addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, modulo, comparison, factorial, radical etc.
- conversion from one base representation to another( for example from decimal to hexadecimal, or from decimal to binary, or even in other bases)
- operations in modulo classes.
- those operations will not be limited only to integer numbers but also extended to floating point numbers in simple precision and double precision as well( except modulo classes).

I think that this library could help not just students, but it can be also used in finding large prime numbers for security keys, why not ( using the "sieve of eratostene" on those large numbers).

Thank you for your time and I hope I will get some feed back over this idea.