Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical-cast] version of lexical_cast in 1.46.1 is quite older than in trunk
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-04 16:19:33

> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 18:16 +0300, Matthew Chambers wrote:
>> Does that mean lexical_cast is orphaned? I'd like to see lexical_cast have optimized conversions for
>> string->number and number->string (template specializations using strtol/strtod; or optionally using
>> the spirit-based construe_cast). Being able to pass ios flags to control the format (i.e. boolalpha)
>> would be nice too [...]
>> Which reminds me - lexical_cast error messages are not very
>> informative[...]
>
>Agreed. This should be added as well[...]
>
>-Matt

Added some optimizations for casts to integral types ( you can see
them in tickets #5417 and #5350).
Did not used strtol/strtod (it will be hard to implement tags/ios
flags if we`ll use them, hard to detect overflows), did not used
spirit library (it`s too big, includes too many files, and looks like
it`s API changes often).

Alexander Nasonov wrote:
>Stewart, Robert wrote:
>> Not true. You and others will benefit from the patches. First, they can be applied manually to local Boost installations, even if they aren't part of a Boost release. Second, others, with commit permission, can apply the patches even without an active maintainer if they are sufficiently comfortable with doing so (and there's enough noise to get their attention). Besides, you could volunteer to be the maintainer!
>
>No objections from me (the current maintaier). I don't have time for
>this any more.
>
>Alex

If there will be no active maintainer, I`d like to have at least
commit permissions to lexical_cast library (if nobody has objections).
I`ve got some ideas on implementing tags/ios flags and there are some
more possible optimizations for float types and locales usage.

So, is there any volunteers to be the maintainer?

- Antony