Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Pool] TR1?
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-11 16:54:06

On 11 April 2011 14:47, Phil Bouchard <philippe_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I see the Boost.Pool is not making its way up to the C++ standards yet an
> it is very unfortunate given its great use. Boost.Pool provides an
> is_from() member function that does a simple range check and returns whether
> a pointer is part of the pool or not. This is a very useful function which
> I think should be part of the standards because it could be used for the
> global pool as well; i.e. the one used by operator ::new and ::delete. The
> benefits outweigh the costs.

What are the costs?

As far as I know, there is no requirement that the heap be contiguous.
Plus, the intent is that implementations can use C's malloc calls, and the
malloc interface doesn't expose this.

If you seriously want this feature, contact your friendly neighborhood C
committee member... :-)

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404