Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library
From: Hal Finkel (half_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-13 22:33:59

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 12:34 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> On 13 April 2011 12:25, Gordon Woodhull <gordon_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I stand by avoiding gendered pronouns when referring to users in documentation, but it's up to individual taste. No "its" though. ;-)
>
> Just say, "talks to the user in their language". Here's a discussion
> at a more appropriate forum:
>
> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/48/gender-neutral-pronoun

Please don't do that. As noted on the stackexchange page, '"singular
they" also enjoys a long history of criticism', and it certainly sounds
wrong to me. It is correct, albeit a bit verbose, to use 'his or her',
and if you don't wish to choose one gender over another, then please use
both genders in that way. [My wife was a newspaper copyeditor for some
time, and after having my grammar corrected for years, now I'm doing it
to other people, scary...]

 -Hal