Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review results for Boost.Locale library
From: Ryo IGARASHI (rigarash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-25 11:13:53

Hi, Artyom,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Artyom <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Boost.Locale uses ICU's implementation of the standard
> Unicode Segmentation Algorithm.
> The rationale behind it is: it is well known, debugged
> and high quality implementation. Currently ICU is the
> best known cross platform generic libraries that implement
> the Unicode algorithms and localization facilities.

I agree with you that ICU is the best known library for
supporting Unicode.

> If it is not good enough and does not do the required thing it is
> much easier to talk to ICU people. There are already custom
> segmentation rules for Japanese. If they are not good enough it
> is possible to talk to them, provide patches or even talk
> to Unicode consortium if the existing basic algorithm
> (not locale specific rules) does not lead to good results.
>
> Also this library does not deal directly with text layout
> as it is out of the scope of this library.

Of course I know that text layout is out of scope of your library.
Just I want to stress the fact that the line breaking in some language
(Japanese in this case) is highly dependent upon text layout. For example,
some 'line breaking forbidden rule' is relaxed on newspaper-like text layout
situation as shown in "Requirements for Japanese Text Layout"[1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading2_1_7

Best regards,

--
Ryo IGARASHI, Ph.D.