Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review results for Boost.Locale library
From: Matthew Chambers (matt.chambers42_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-27 13:07:58

On 4/27/2011 11:58 AM, Stewart, Robert wrote:
> Marsh Ray wrote:
>> On 04/27/2011 10:49 AM, Matthew Chambers wrote:
>>>
>>> Claims like "non-Western programmers will never use this
>>> library" are out of place on this list.
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> It's a relevant data point, even if you don't agree with the
>> reasoning behind it.
>
> It's a relevant piece of information, but I think the point was that there are many non-Western programmers (for some definition of "Western") that would use the library. Therefore, a modified form of the assertion would have been better: "No Asian programmers I know of will ever use this library." That might not be as strong, though, unless Ryou also gave scope to the number of Asian programmers he knows that would think similarly.
>
> Anyway, I think the concern was for the statement's tone and hyperbole.

Yes, the hostile tone and hyperbole are what is out of place, not the assertion. The assertion
itself is factually wrong for the general (non-strict) geographical definition of "Western" since
India has a large English proficient population and isn't geographically "Western." If we go beyond
geographical definitions, Japan is more Western than India
(http://www.henryjacksonsociety.org/stories.asp?id=1171). It would have been much simpler and more
accurate to write "east Asian" - presumably he didn't do that in the first place to amplify the
hyperbole.

-Matt