Subject: Re: [boost] [1.48.0] Schedule discussion
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-19 14:39:24

Beman Dawes wrote:
> In the "[boost] [1.47.0] Release branch now closed" thread, Daniel
> James and I discussed possible schedules for 1.48:
>
> Beman>>> While the release managers haven't talked about the 1.48.0
> schedule Beman>>> yet, I personally would like to get back to our
> traditional quarterly Beman>>> schedule. That would mean 1.48.0
> would be scheduled for the first Beman>>> Monday in August.
>
> Daniel>> We haven't got enough time for that. If we release 1.47
> after a 2 week Daniel>> beta (i.e. pretty quickly), it will be
> released on 4th July, leaving Daniel>> just under a month before the
> first Monday in August.
>
> Beman> Agreed, but we could aim for as short a 1.48 schedule as is
> reasonable Beman> so that the 1.49 schedule is then back on the
> quarterly cycle.
>
> A 1.48 beta 5 weeks after 1.47 ships seems doable. That would be about
> August 8th, and then the release 3 weeks later, or about August 29.
>
> The 1.49 release then would be back on schedule for the first Monday
> in November.
>
> To make the above happen, we would need to open branches/release for
> merges immediately after 1.47 ships. Or maybe create a branch now for
> 1.48.
>
> Thoughts?

How about tweaking your "quarterly release rule" to say.

release x +1 is scheduled for 3 months after the release of x.

This will account for the fact that not every release occurs on schedule. It
will also make it easier for library developers in that I always will know
what my deadline is with 3 months notice.

Robert Ramey