Subject: Re: [boost] How to use BCP
From: Denis Arnaud (denis.arnaud_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-30 10:11:54

Hi Will,

From: William Voorhees wrote, on 2011-06-27 21:17:50:

> I [...] decided to give the program_options module a try.
> Since the utility is small and I don't have any current plans for
> other boost functionality it doesn't make sense to include the full
> BOOST library, so I tried to use bcp to get only the files I'm
> interested in. I was able to get a subset of boost code that I should
> be able to use with bcp, however I don't know how to compile the
> program_options library for linking in my code.
> >From a bit of googling it looks like bjam is the build tool, but it
> doesn't seem to be included with the subset of files I have.
> How would I go about incorporating boost so that all of the necessary
> source and associated utilities are included for an end user to build
> from. I should be able to issue a series of simple commands (looks
> like ./bootstrap.sh and make) to build and install my library with
> statically linked in boost.
> -Will Voorhees

As part of the Ryppl <http://ryppl.org/> initiative, Daniel Pfeifer has
implemented an (awful!) CMake-based Boost modularisation framework. Your
question is answered on this Ryppl's group thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/ryppl-dev/browse_thread/thread/34b94548fb80b7bc

What you would need to do, then, is quite simple:
git clone git://github.com/ryppl/rypplite.git
git clone git://github.com/boost-lib/program_options.git
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBoost_DIR=/absolute/path/to/rypplite ../program_options
make

Note: replace "git://" by "https://" if you are behind a firewall filtering
out the Git protocol (you will have to manually edit the
rypplite/boost-config.cmake file as well).

Discussions are still on-going about header forwarding, but it answer your
needs. Do not hesitate to subscribe to the Ryppl's discussion group for
further assistance and discussions.

Best

denis