Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Type Traits Introspection library by Edward Diener starts tomorrow Friday 1
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-01 19:56:19

On 7/1/2011 5:28 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> Not a review, just a couple of comments.
>
> That kind of library would be *very* valuable if it could be made to
> work with a wide spectrum of compilers out there.
>
> I know that kind stuff can break easily, so I'd really like to have some
> test results for other compilers (xlC, Intel, ...) to know whether that
> library is really limited to MSVC/GCC or not, in order to make a more
> informed evaluation.

I will try some tests with clang. As for other compilers, I just do not
have others to test against. if there are other compilers which have a
free version that I can use I will do so.

> Otherwise, I also have a question:
>
> Does the library deal with static const integral data members which you
> cannot take the address of, and if it does, how does it do it?
>
> I mean things like
>
> struct A
> {
> static const int value = 42;
> };

That works correctly in the library for gcc and VC++. Evidently the code
that tests, which uses an expression of &A::value, is accepted by those
compilers. Is it illegal to take the address of a static const data
member in C++ ?