Subject: Re: [boost] Phoenix V3 and Logging library help.
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-04 14:22:10

On 07/04/2011 07:04 PM, Fernando Pelliccioni wrote:
> Hi Thomas, all,
>
> I am researching about logging libraries.
> I had to discard Boost.Log ( from Andrey) because this library does not
> support GCC 3.4.
> I've seen other libraries, but none convinced me.

A few notes, if I may:

1. You probably wouldn't want the streaming expressions to be executed
when the record is dropped anyway (e.g. when its severity level is not
high enough). So there should be some "if (dl.is_enabled(info))" before
each logging expression. Such check is usually hidden behind macros.

2. Thread safety and contention might be an issue. If there's going to
be a global logger, accessible from different parts of program, it will
have to synchronize concurrent access from different threads and, if
possible, not to block for too long.

Also, did you take a look at Google glog?

http://code.google.com/p/google-glog/

I don't know about support for GCC 3.4, but it looks simple enough.