Subject: Re: [boost] [doxygen] CSS/Temple files for Doxygen
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-09 15:50:04

----- Original Message ----
> From: Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>
>
> Quickbook is such an easy and yet powerful tool to use and works with any text
>editor (though
> coloring is nice).
>
> OK, setting up the toolchain is a PITA (but I fear so is any toolchain), but
>once one is over that
> hurdle, writing the docs is a doddle.
>
> Even a re-write of the Pool docs from html didn't take that long (and revealed
>some deficiencies in
> the original). 'Automatic' conversion didn't really help much more than lots
>of cut'n'paste. (It
> revealed that you need to know what the software does - and in places I
>didn't!)
>
> Paul
>
> PS Long term, a tool that *really* understands C++ like the Clang compiler
>should be able to
> generate a better reference section than Doxygen which does impressively well
>considering but can
> get confused).

To be honest...

I prefer to use ONE too for projects I work on.

With Doxygen I can generate both great tutorials and reference (in-source-code)
documentation,
easily integrate them and what is most important to use ONE - SAME syntax.

The only project using quickbook today is Boost. And it can't be really used
outside the scope of Boost.Build.

I don't develop for Boost only but rather have several different FOSS projects
that use Doxygen and none of them use Boost.Build.

So instead of learning one more tool, create an entire toolchain
of Doxyen/Quickbook/DocBook/HTML I prefer to use one tool that
can be easily integrated with CMake and easy to install.

To be honest. I find Doxygen a very good tool for documenting software
and I don't understand why Boost hadn't adopted one... But this is other
story.

Finally I don't want to move to other tool especially when Boost does not
enforce me. I'll keep Doxygen as-is and maybe tweak CSS a little

BTW Doxygen knows to produce PDFs as well.

Thanks,

 Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/