Subject: Re: [boost] logging
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-18 13:16:45

On 07/18/2011 02:43 AM, Jamie Allsop wrote:

> Your efforts are appreciated. I think the reason for much of the
> interest is that many of us are actually using your library 'as-is'
> today. For those that are, we're going to have to refactor once a new
> version is available. In that regard we'll have to deal with breaking
> changes anyway.

That's true.

> Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but do you have a public repo
> with your latest code so interested early adopters can help contribute
> patches against the that?

Yes, the library is hosted at SourceForge, there is SVN repo with the
latest source code. Trunk is v2 work in progress.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost-log>

> It sounds like it might be worth getting the library to a 'stable
> enough' state for an addition to boost and simply make it clear in the
> docs that certain interfaces might be deprecated in a later revision?
> Like I said many are using it now and the wider exposure might prompt
> more volunteer help.

Well, it's 'stable enough' all the time, trunk included. The library
should compile and work as intended at all times, and to my knowledge
quite a few users use trunk version (primarily because it's compatible
with the latest Boost releases). It's just that they agree that the
interface may (and will likely) change. This kind of agreement is ok for
a pre-release stage but is it ok for a part of Boost release?

One thing I had in mind was to merge to Boost trunk (but not release)
but that seems to contradict the common protocol for library acceptance
(which I'm fine with).