Subject: Re: [boost] [Opaque] Request for interest in Opaque typedefs library emulation
From: Fernando Pelliccioni (fpelliccioni_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-20 09:08:47

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM, vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have started to play with a class to define opaque typedefs on
> funcdamental types. It is based on the C++ proposal "
> Progress toward Opaque Typedefs for C++0X" by Walter E. Brown
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1891.pdf
> and http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1706.pdf
>
> Please take a look on the preceding links to understand the motivation.
>
> Boost.Sericalization provide a BOOST_STRONG_TYPEDEF already, but in my
> opinon the implementation is not complete,as only the order operators are
> defined (But maybe I'm wrong).
>
> Evidently it can not provide everything we can have with a language
> approach, but IMO this could yet be useful.
>
> The library include two class templates (CRTP) to define opaque types:
> * public_opaque_type<OT,UT> : implicit conversion from OT to UT
> * private_opaque_type<OT,UT> : no conversion from OT to UT
>
> An opaque type (OT) is a new type, different from the underlying type (UT)
> and other OT. It defines explicit constructor from the UT, and defines all
> the operators the UT support but this time applied to the OT.
>
> To define a new OT with this mixin classes
>
> struct serial_number: public_opaque_type<serial_number, unsigned>
> {
> BOOST_OPAQUE_PUPLIC_FORWARD_CONSTRUCTORS(serial_number,unsigned);
> };
>
> struct game_score: private_opaque_type<game_score, unsigned>
> {
> BOOST_OPAQUE_PRIVATE_FORWARD_CONSTRUCTORS(game_score,unsigned);
> };
>
> In addition, defines macros that make this simpler
>
> BOOST_OPAQUE_PUBLIC_TYPEDEF(unsigned, serial_number);
> BOOST_OPAQUE_PRIVATE_TYPEDEF(unsigned, game_score);
>

> Next follows the definition of the public_opaque_type
>
> template <typename Final, typename T>
> class public_opaque_type
> : boost::totally_ordered< Final
> , boost::integer_arithmetic< Final
> , boost::bitwise< Final
> , boost::unit_steppable< Final
> , boost::totally_ordered< T, Final // public specific conversions
> , boost::integer_arithmetic< T, Final // public specific conversions
> , boost::bitwise< T, Final // public specific conversions
> > > > > > > >
> {
> protected:
> T val_;
> typedef public_opaque_type opaque_type;
> public:
> typedef T underlying_type;
> explicit public_opaque_type(const T v)
> : val_(v) {};
> public_opaque_type() {};
> public_opaque_type(const opaque_type & rhs)
> : val_(rhs.val_) {}
> public_opaque_type & operator=(const opaque_type & rhs) {
> val_ = rhs.val_; return *this;
> }
> public_opaque_type & operator=(const T rhs) {
> val_ = rhs; return *this;
> }
> T const& underlying() const {
> [...]

Hi Vicente,

I am testing Boost.Opaque.
I am using Boost 1.47 + Boost.Conversion + Boost.Opaque ( both from the
sandbox ). GCC 4.4 on Linux

When I include

#include <boost/opaque.hpp>

... I get compilation errors ...

boost/opaque/meta_mixin/using_explicit_conversion_to_ut_hierarchy.hpp:81:
error: ‘boost::dummy’ has not been declared
boost/opaque/meta_mixin/using_explicit_conversion_to_ut_hierarchy.hpp:81:
error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘<’ token

I miss something?

Thanks and regards,
Fernando.