Subject: Re: [boost] [lockfree] review
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-30 10:14:36

On Jul 30, 2011, at 5:11 AM, Tim Blechmann <tim_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> compare_exchange actually updates old_tos, so there is no need to load it again

Oho, I get it. Instead of "if compare equal then exchange" it's more like "if compare equal then set else retrieve". Tricky.

> again, this is the difference between paper and actual implementation ;)

In this case, looks like the book is taking an abstraction penalty for exposition. Way better than cases where a paper will leave out necessary details because they're too messy.