Subject: [boost] Boost.Process progress
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-01 19:20:15

There haven't been much news on Boost.Process lately which doesn't mean
though that nothing is happening. I've been working on a Boost.Asio
extension which can be used to wait asynchronously for Windows processes -
see https://github.com/BorisSchaeling/asio. This was already supported by
Boost.Process 0.4 but the implementation was heavily criticized. The code
has been moved now to Boost.Asio (or at least I hope it will - I'm in
contact with Chris :) and provides a new Windows I/O object called
object_handle. The implementation is now based on the Windows function
RegisterWaitForSingleObject(). The new I/O object can not only be used to
wait for processes. It can also be used to wait for events, mutexes,
semaphores etc. As it's not process-related anymore, it makes sense to
ship the code with Boost.Asio (where we have already similar Windows I/O
objects called random_access_handle and stream_handle - object_handle fits
in nicely).

Once I'm done with this, a major critical point should have been resolved.
I'll go back then to Boost.Process code and help Jeff to finish
https://github.com/JeffFlinn/boost-process. I'm not sure how far we are
there. But as I don't remember any major obstacles, I'm confident that
there are none. :)

Boris