Subject: Re: [boost] [rpc] Introducing Boost.Reflect, Boost.CMT, and Boost.RPC
From: Daniel Larimer (dlarimer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-05 10:14:53

On Aug 5, 2011, at 5:48 AM, Giorgio Zoppi wrote:

> 2011/7/28 Daniel Larimer <dlarimer_at_[hidden]>:
>> I have just recently completed my first alpha release of a generic RPC
>> library designed to support different protocols (JSON, XML, Protocol
>> Buffers) and different transports (UDP, TCP, HTTP) in a generic manner.
>> Currently only JSON over TCP is implemented.
>
> I would love Apache thrift integration in your rpc framework.

Are you looking for native thrift binary support? You should be able to use the thrift-generated base classes with boost::reflect::any_ptr and achieve proper abstraction.

Looking over the thrift website I can see several advantages to my approach:
1) They use a large thread pool to achieve what I do with Cooperative multitasking
2) Generated code does not compile on windows?? (there appears to be a patch for it)

I am unable to find their 'on-the-wire' binary protocol spec. My preferred approach would be to support thrift 'natively' and then to use
reflection to 'generate' the thrift IDL file for other languages.