Subject: Re: [boost] [lockfree] Review
From: Helge Bahmann (hcb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-07 14:39:25

On Friday 05 August 2011 20:54:50 Grund, Holger wrote:
> Hi Helge,
>
> > keep an "even" and an "odd" copy of your data structure, keep an
> > atomically
> > readable "generation counter" -- on access, read the generation
> > counter, read
> > the data (depending on parity of generation counter), read the
> > generation
> > counter again
> >
> > if it changed, start over. if it didn't change, you have your data; on
> > modification, update generation counter as appropriate (if you are
> > paranoid
> > about counter overflows, you can repeat a similar trick with the
> > counter
> > itself)
> >
> > no need for anything larger than word-sized atomics here, size of
> > shared
> > read-only data structure does not matter
>
> Agreed, this is not impossible, but I still tend to think we should strive
> for a more efficient implementation if at all possible.

Where do you see room for improvement? It is a fallacy to assume that "most
efficient implementation" always means "there is a machine instruction
providing a 1:1 translation of my high-level construct". Look at this from
the POV of cache synchronisation cost (which is the real cost, not the number
of instructions), and you will realize that there is not much you can do
(assuming you can squeeze the data copies as well as the sequence counter
into the same cacheline).

This approach BTW is already way faster than e.g. using a 64-bit mmx register
and paying the cost of mmx->gpr transfers on x86.

Regards
Helge