Subject: Re: [boost] The Lonely Song of the MPL Maintainer -- or Boost support for antediluvian compiler and the future supprot of C++11
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-21 17:36:55

El 21/08/2011 20:54, Jeff Garland escribió:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Joel falcou<joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> <radical>
>> Going further, shouldn't we start thinking at boost 2.0 which will
>> definitevely let c++03 die its peaceful death and start, on a voluntary
>> effort, move boost component toward C++11. I know we have a fully working
>> Fusion for 0x only. mpl, proto and other strategic infrastructure libraries
>> should benefit from that. Some are a trivial port like Boost.PP and all the
>> TR1 boost library that will just either disappear or forward the C++11
>> version.
>> </radical>
>>

> For what it's worth, I'm currently looking at creating date-time v2 in
> preparation for an updated lwg proposal. It expect it will be "mostly"
> compatible with date-time v1, but with some new twists and adjustments --
> enough that I want to rewrite the core code. To save time and energy I'm
> seriously considering requiring C++11 so that I have access to several new
> features. In my case I have to also contend with Chrono compatibility -- so

IMHO that would be bad news. Until most programmers migrate to a new
compiler with C++11 features we'll have to wait for years, enterprise
policies are not compatible with changing the already bought licences
and environments every yar. Some basic support for C++03 would be nice,
we have move emulation and some macro tricks for variadic templates.
Just my 2 cents,

Best,

Ion