Subject: Re: [boost] [interest] underlying type library
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-23 04:18:22

Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Julian, I don't know if you have take a look at the under review Boost.Conversion library. The move_raw function can follows the same design as the conversion::assign_to function.

I have not looked, and to be honest I'm wary of digging through another library just to find something that obviously is already in your head. Could you give a short description of the relevant properties of conversion::assign_to?

> I don't know if the move_raw can be used to move unrelated types,

It can't. Or at least I don't think that should be the case. move_raw should be strong-typed just like copy assignment and move assignment (with the difference that the underlying type has to be compatible).

> In Boost.Enums and Boost.Opaque there is a underlying_type concept that match the one of this proposal. It will be nice if we can add it already on Boost.Utility. The library could define it for POD types as the identity and left the user to provide appropiated instantiations.

That's very interesting. I'll get back on this.