Subject: Re: [boost] [any] new version
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-05 15:05:42

--- On Mon, 9/5/11, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> From: Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > Quite the opposite, only DLLs don't support weak
> symbols.
>
> Are you saying that, say, on MacOS X or Solaris there is no
> need to do
> anything to export these symbols and the runtime linker
> will relocate
> them to a single instance? That's news to me.

It is actually correct for all ELF platforms that all modern
operating systems use
(yep... I don't consider windows modern system :-) ).

There is some control depending on compiler on hiding symbols
or not but generally there is no huge headache that exists
on DLL platform (a.k.a. Windows)

Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/