Subject: Re: [boost] [proto] Looong compile times and other issues
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-11 16:07:36

On 9/11/2011 3:43 PM, Joel Falcou wrote:
> Le 11/09/2011 21:11, Eric Niebler a écrit :
>> Joel, can you give an example of where this might help>
>
> I don't like how all transform are crammed in a single header

Many are in matches.hpp, and this could be broken up. Others are already
defined in spearate headers under the transform/ directory.

> or how the proto_fwd is hugely huge :/

I tend to doubt a few hundred forward declarations and typedefs present
much of a problem.

> I wonder if having a forward
> folder contianing fine grain forward header wont be better.
>
>> I avoid fusion, sadly. Proto is not built on top of fusion for just this
>> reason. Proto is expensive enough all by itself. :-P
>
> I was thinking of when you use some fusion algorithm on expression.
> This is a purely Fusion problem

I think this only happens in proto::(reverse_)fold, and only when the
sequence isn't a proto expression type. But perhaps I'm forgetting
something.

>> There usually isn't, AFAIK.
>
> Herp I thought it will :(

Herp?

I suspect something is really very wrong for the compile times John is
seeing. But at this point, it's impossible to say. John, you might also
try Steven's template profiler.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing