Subject: Re: [boost] [phoenix] compile-time performance
From: Beren Minor (beren.minor+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-14 04:15:54

Hi,

I'm interested in this compile-time issue because I'm facing the same
kind of issue in some of my own projects.
I'm extensively using Boost so I don't really know if it comes from it or
if it comes from my code (which similarly uses a lot of templates).

Anyway, could you share a little bit over how you can find out what
are the compile-time hitters? I've got some sources taking like 40s to
build with gcc and it's getting really annoying. Are they some best
practices when using template meta-programming? Some tricks to
know about what pattern is slow and what's quicker for the compiler?

For example -- as this is a phoenix thread -- could you share some
examples of what took time in phoenix and how you fixed it?

I've tried Steven Watanabe template profiler but got a lot of trouble with
the STL complaining about its code being modified (which is true as the
template profiler adds some code to it).

Best regards,

--
Beren Minor