Subject: Re: [boost] Persistency library
From: Lifshitz, Yair (yair.lifshitz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-26 01:55:58

Message: 10
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:53:12 +0200
From: Oliver Kowalke <oliver.kowalke_at_[hidden]>
To: boost_at_[hidden]

> I assume resuming from a checkpoint would also require to restore the
> registers, flags, stack (pointer), instruction pointer etc. - I'd like
> to know if your lib supports only intel or some other architectures too.
>
> Oliver

Your assumption is correct.
However, the actual implementation is done via getcontext()/setcontext(),
so it is not hard-wired to a specific hardware architecture.

We use assembly only in one case, and that is to avoid a glibc issue.
PID is being cached in user-space and therefore isn't correct after restore,
and glibc does not provide a simple way to invalidate this.

Right now, the library has only been validated on x86-64, but I can of course
validate it on other architectures (given the right hardware :)).

Yair
Intel Israel (74) Limited