Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Algorithm design question
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-01 11:24:25

On 1 November 2011 09:43, Andrew Sutton <asutton.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> We attach meaning to symbols. I doubt that many people on this list
> would read the expression "a == b" as "a and b are operated on by some
> function with the name == that has some result".

That really depends on the underlying types.

> I tend to read it as
> "a is equal to b".

I don't read:

bind(&foo, _1) == 2

as "the object which bind returns is equal to 2"; operator== on
lambda-type objects is not an equivalence relation but instead returns
"some result" (that happens to be a proxy for possibly evaluating an
equivalence relation later).

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404