Subject: Re: [boost] [multi_array] Ticket#4874 "multi_array compile errors using Visual C++ 2010 in debug mode"
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-02 06:29:42

These failures are caused by a specific behavior of iterator_facade from Boost.Iterator, introduced by Jeremy Siek with the explanation "changed iterator_facade_default_category to stop lying about output_iterator_tag": <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/21683>.

I'm not the right person to judge (or understand) how serious the original code was a lying, but the attached patch that conditionally reintroduces the original behavior as a workaround for MSVC 10 fixes all compile failures.

However, the reason why I wrote this answer is that Jeffrey Lee Hellrung volunteered to help with the maintenance of Boost.Iterator:
<http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/11/187491.php>

I'm not saying that it must necessarily be fixed in Boost.Iterator. The problem could also be fixed by introducing some "lying" into Boost.Multi_Array, as has been done in other boost libraries to work around this issue. I would also be willing to provide the corresponding patches for "Boost.Multi_Array" that conditionally introduce lying for MSVC >=10.

Regards,
Thomas