Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 07:19:17

On 11/24/2011 8:08 PM, Brent Spillner wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2011 09:11:19 Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Man! Of course you should use the examples in 1.45. Those examples
>> are for 1.48 and uses new features implemented in 1.48! Sheesh!
>
> I fully understand that. The point is that the Phoenix interface is
> evolving much more quickly than that of probably any other Boost
> library. Even apart from the fact that there already have been two
> bottom-up rewrites, there are enough significant changes between point
> releases that even small example programs are tied to a particular
> version of the library. Why is the optimal way to write a small
> calculator example today so different from the optimal way to write it
> six months ago? I'm not disputing that you're making forward
> progress, just highlighting this as another barrier to entry that
> Local likely won't have.

The funny thing is that the new feature came from Spirit, not
Phoenix. Phoenix API has been stable for many years now. Triple
sheesh for ya! :-)

>> Double Sheesh! If you've spent even a few seconds looking into the
>> error (beyond fault-finding), you will see that a simple textual
>> search of "error" will reveal this:
>
> Yes, it's possible to wade through the error messages and figure out
> what went wrong. And Qi is clearly trying to help out with traceable

Wade? Use search. It's a textual search for "error".

Anyway, I'm really outta here. Enough strawman arguments.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com