Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] guard behavior if guard guards the transition MSM threats event as handled is that correct ?
From: Richard Szabo (sz.richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 20:54:37

Hi Christophe

> Sure. I see other ways out of your problem. I think they are elegant and
> conform to the spirit of state machines:
> - exit points, as previously said. Just write another region as last, which
> will process your event and send it out to the outer. This has the
> disadvantage to force you to check is the event has been processed or not.
> - internal transitions in the submachine itself. IIUC, SubRunning is meant
> to be a submachine, right? Then we only need to add this to its definition:
>
> struct internal_transition_table : mpl::vector<
>            Internal <   event3  , Action , Guard >
>           > {};
>

> (supposing you need a guard, this is optional).
> What does this mean? We added to your submachine (or substate) an internal
> transition table. By convention, MSM decides this is less "inner" than a
> standard transition table, so the transition table is tried first. If no
> transition from the transition table processes the event (or if the event is
> rejected by guards), then the internal table is tried.
> This can be easily used to replace your use of no_transition, it is more
> elegant, Standard-conforming and you have extra capabilities (like having
> different handlers, conflicting ones solved by guards, etc). I find this
> quite fun :)

Great Great Great .... you are always 1 step a head of me ....
Yes this sunds a nice solution and even I can hide the internal
transition table in ta sub state machine running base state all states
creating sub states are just can use this base state ....
This is cool I hope internal_transition_table allows to use baseEvents
as well like outer ones ...

> The whole internal transitions have been rewritten in 1.48 to allow this to
> work for all machines so you will need it or trunk (sadly this also means
> that while I tested as well as I could, I cannot exclude the possibility of
> a bug).

Don't worry I will come back to you if it is buggy ... I think with
our virtual test system we will find problems quick if there any ...

Thanks for the support

Cheers
Richie