Subject: Re: [boost] What is boost: was New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-01 17:24:20

On 1 December 2011 14:29, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> a) libraries are modular.
> c) Libraries would be updated/versioned on their own schedule.

So how do you solve the versioning problem?

If Boost.Thread.90 requires Boost.SmartPtr.76 and Boost.Filesystem.90
requires Boost.Smartptr.77, you've got a usability nightmare on your
hands. I don't see any way around Boost libraries having to work
together in all baseline releases (which is what we have now).

And this is a practical problem, as I have yet to work anywhere that
doesn't have this problem when they integrate libraries from more than
one source.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404