Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] patch to allow custom stack size.
From: Geoff Shapiro (gshapiro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-02 11:58:27

Kenneth Porter <shiva.blacklist <at> sewingwitch.com> writes:
> Geoff Shapiro <gshapiro <at> flir.com> wrote in news:loom.20111201T191114-176
> @post.gmane.org:
>
> > I'd like to see in your example how you see a user incorporating thread
> > attribute settings for non-portable attributes.
>
> Something I find useful under Win32 is the ability to set a thread's name
> so that it can be easily identified in the debugger. This attribute is also
> present in Linux and MacOS, but implemented slightly differently in each
> case, with different limitations.
>
> This ticket for the wxWidgets framework provides links to several resources
> about this as well as some discussion about the differences in the platform
> implementations:
>
> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11245

I had the same need in my project (where win32 is only one of the environments
it runs in), and also implemented a solution. Thanks for the link which I will
look at later today.

While I believe the solution I arrived at is decent, I would have liked to see
this type of thing considered in the boost interfaces.

Geoff