Subject: [boost] ASIO Query
From: james_at_[hidden]
Date: 2011-12-21 09:27:36

Hiya,

I'm hoping for opinions on using an io_service per core against a single
io_service with multiple threads (similar to HTTP Server examples 2 & 3). The
application is a TCP authentication / proxy server, intended to use all
available cores.

- The TCP streams consist of small messages (usually a few hundred bytes) which
can individually be processed quickly.
- Connections themselves are fairly long lasting - average around 4 hours,
although occasionally up to 10-12 hours.

We're looking for a 'shared nothing' design between threads - database queries
can be made per-thread (using TLS), for example.

The application is written for Redhat Linux - I'm unsure if it makes a
difference.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers
Jim