Subject: Re: [boost] How to make tests building faster?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-05 20:58:06

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 22 December 2011 01:49, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have additional question to the testing against release branch
> approach.
>
> I assume you work with trunk and branches/release in the same
> machine/system. How do you switch between Boost.Build from trunk and
> from branches/release?
>
> On Windows, I build and install BBv2 this way:
>
> bootstrap.bat
> .\b2 --prefix=C:\usr install
>
> If C:\usr contains BBv2 from trunk (C:\usr\bin is in PATH)
> and I try to run b2 command inside branches/release,
> I sometimes get BBv2 errors (e.g. from .jam files).
>
> Then I have to wipe out C:\usr, go to branches/release/tools/build/v2
> and run the BBv2 installation again:
>
> bootstrap.bat
> .\b2 --prefix=C:\usr install
>
> It is quite a hassle.
> Is there any convenient way to have different version of BBv2
> installed?

hmmm - I'm not aware of this issue. Here is what I do:

a) I have svn checked out from the release branch to a directory. On my
windows system its c:\BoostRelease.
b) Then I use svn switch to switch the serialization directories to the
trunk. For the serialization library this is three directories.
c:\BoostRelease\boost\archive, c:\BoostRelease\boost\serialization,
c:\BoostRelease\libs\serialization
c) if necessary, one can build using boost build v2 - I forget the
procedure. But basically boost build is indifferent to whether it's the
release or trunk.
d) Then I make sure that the tool executables are in the current path.
e) then cd to boost/libs/serialization/test
f) invoke the shell script batch file ..\..\..\tools\library_test (or
library_status I don't remember)
and the system will then:
i) build all the prequisite libraries
ii) build the serialization libraries
iii) run the serialization library tests
iv) creat an html table with all the results.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but that's how I do it.
As I said before boost build and other tools work the same regardless of the
branch

Finally, I also have a c:\boosttrunk directory which is a check out from the
trunk. I used to have there just "in case". Also it was sometimes handy
for comparing trunk/releas etc. But since it was always out of date, I
don't every use it any more. I just use SVN diff. I think I'll just delete
my local copy of the trunk.

Robert Ramey