Subject: Re: [boost] [iterator] Combining traversal_tags with iterator_tags
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-09 00:38:09

[reordering]

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Ronald Garcia <rxg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I agree, I think the thing to do here is to be explicit about what tag
> you
> > want to use, rather than pulling this out of Boost.Iterator's detail
> > namespace; e.g., the above prefers conversions to std::input_iterator_tag
> > over std::output_iterator_tag, which could have subtle effects in some
> > situations.
> >
> > - Jeff
>

> Hello Jeff,
>
> Since input_iterator and output_iterator are orthogonal concepts, I can't
> imagine what piece of sensible code would cause subtle effects due to
> preferring input_iterator over output_iterator. Do you have an example in
> mind?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Nope, nothing in particular in mind. I would say, if you really think that
traversal_with_category (I think that's what it's called...) should be
pulled out to the public API, file a trac ticket and I'll look more closely
at it once I find time to familiarize myself with the boost development
process (I've found wiki's with lots of information, just haven't parsed
through them yet).

In the meantime, though, this can be a change made entirely locally to
whatever component you need it in (I'm sorry, I've since forgotten the
context).

- Jeff