Subject: Re: [boost] [c++TR2] N3334, Proposing array_ref<T> and string_ref
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-30 21:35:29

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Olaf van der Spek <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> What do other Boosters think?
>
> I think the idea is great. In fact, I've written similiar classes:
> http://code.google.com/p/xbt/source/browse/trunk/xbt/misc/xbt/data_ref.h
> I've posted about the idea on this list before, but received few responses.
>
> The idea is that you've got a non-template function that takes an
> array. Often types used are (const void*, size_t) or (const char*,
> size_t), which is cumbersome.
> Iterators instead of pointers wouldn't really work.
>
> std::string with small string optimizations is sub-optimal if input is
> not an std::string, but for example std::array.
>
> N3334 does not really address the (const void*, size_t) case.
>
> BTW, isn't there a forum / mailing list to discuss these proposals?

Yes, and they are usually better choices than the Boost list for
discussion about committee proposals.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.std.c++ for one, but it
hasn't been very active recently.

The committee has its own discussion lists, but they are available
only to members.

I particularly value the feedback from Boost members, and thought
there might be a lot of Boost interest in this particular proposal.

Thanks,

--Beman