Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] utf8 file names in memory mapped files
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-31 05:05:52

Den 31-01-2012 00:06, Ion Gaztañaga skrev:
> El 30/01/2012 14:36, Thorsten Ottosen escribió:
>> It would be great if we could support utf8 encoded file names on windows
>> too.
>>
>> I guess all it requires is a utility function that converts from utf8 to
>> utf16 on windows. Such a function is avaiable in the windows API, and I
>> can supply it.
>
> No, I need to change all internals and windows api to use wide strings
> instead of narrow ones. I guess I could use boost::filesystem::path or
> similar instead of raw strings (after all, named objects use something
> similar to paths), but I also need to be backwards compatible and write
> some maintainable code, supporting also wide strings in Unix platforms.
> Suggestions welcome.

Lately I have been porting our 32 bit windows apps to 64 bit linux. The
single most time consuming (and annoying) problem has been in dealing
with portable file names.

I don't see any particular reason for supporting wide strings, neither
in Boost.Filesystem or Interprocess. If everything was in "utf8-mode",
we can just use std:::string. Of course, both libraries needs to do
custom stuff under the hood (e.g. converting to utf16 on windows before
calling the windows api).

-Thorsten