Subject: Re: [boost] PCL - Portable C++ Library
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 06:54:01

On 02/10/2012 06:05 AM, Martin Desharnais wrote:

> In my country's colleges and universities, C++ is in process to be
> replaced as a teaching and project developement language because there
> is no single place which could provide basic libraries for simple domains.

Most French universities already do C + Java and no C++.
It's the same worldwide, some don't even do C anymore.

That's to be expected, C is for learning and low-level programming, Java
is for pulling together random software projects with minimal effort.

I don't think more accessible C++ libraries would change that.

> We, as students and new C++ developers, would like to have access to a
> simple, but still efficient XML library.

libxml2.
It has a fairly good C++ wrapper, too.

> I've read a
> fiew times that the DOM implementation, which is currently what we are
> use for, was not integrating well with C++ and could be made simpler.

DOM is an in-memory representation designed for Java and Java-like
languages.
In C++, there could arguably be better, but there is no particular
problem providing that particular interface.

> I will finish by saying that the biggest advantage of the boost
> libraries is that they all come together and that is a major argument
> when trying to convinced someone or an organisation that libraries are
> available (event if not in the standard) and that it will not be an
> installation and maintenance nightmare.

You could also install whatever you need locally.
None of the computers I work with have Boost installed, I use my own
version in my home directory (which allows me to use the version I want,
including trunk).