Subject: [boost] FW: Snobol4 matching in C++
From: Steven Kibler (skkibler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-14 20:10:40

I have an implementation of Snobol4 patterns and pattern matching that runs
in C++.

All of the Snobol4 patterns and replacements are implemented in addition to
numerous

extensions that have proven useful over the years. The patterns are built
with

overloaded operators and building patterns is simple, straight forward, easy
to read

and test. In many cases, I find that Snobol4 patterns and its matching
algorithm is

clearer, more intuitive, and more useful than regular expressions. I have
been able

to typically cut the required lines of code to accomplish pattern matching
by half

or a third over using regular expressions. The package is well integrated
into

C++ and its data types.

For post circa 1980 'newbies' unaware of the power of Snobol4, a description
of Snobol4

can be seen in a copy of several Snobol4 manuals at
ftp://ftp.snobol4.com/spitman.pdf

and ftp://ftp.cs.arizona.edu/snobol/gb.pdf.

I would like the package to be published under the auspices of Boost. I
would like

to know if this package would be something that the users of the Boost
community would

be interested in.

This package was originally written in Ada by Robert Dewar and AdaCore,
translated

to C/C++ by Philip Budne, and cleaned up and expanded by me. The Philip
Budne

version may be found at http://www.snobol4.org/ (Look for the SPIPAT link)
along with

many other references for SNOBOL and SPITBOL.

Thanks

Steven Kibler

Facet Soft Tech, Inc.