Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a reusable stream-based console?
From: Michael Hava (mfh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-09 08:26:29

@Julien:
I haven't looked into boost::program_options yet, though I don't see a
problem in integrating the current design in anything as it's merely a class
that reads from a std::basic_istream and writes to a std::basic_ostream
whilst calling registered callbacks based on the input…

The parameters are currently instances of std::basic_string which are passed
to the callback which can than operate on these parameters.

On the list of commands thing: I thought about that for a while now and
would say that something like Lua would be a perfect solution to be combined
with the current design to allow that flexible scripting…

@Artyom:
I've never before heard about GNU Readline; does that mean that consoles
like bash don't offer such a functionality to programs automatically
(something that even cmd.exe does)?

"Help" is meant to be a short help text on the command, similar to a
man-page…