Subject: Re: [boost] [algorithm] aesthetic question about cxx11
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-14 09:15:24

lcaminiti wrote:
> Olaf van der Spek-3 wrote
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM, lcaminiti
> <lorcaminiti@> wrote:
>
> >> Then I think we can proclame Boost convention to be .[ch]pp
> >> for file names, CXX for macros, and cxx for directories (and
> >> also cxx for code symbol names other than macros?).
> >
> > Why cxx for dirs? Then we've got cpp for one path component
> > and cxx for another?
>
> OK, honestly the convention that would make the most sense to
> me (as long as it doesn't break any exiting code) is
> cpp/hpp/CPP for everything files, directory, and code symbols
> (including macros). But I'm happy to just pick a convention and
> move on with my life ;)

Recall that CPP can refer to the C preprocessor, so CXX is better for macros.

Once you make that leap, using cxx for the directories makes sense.

If hxx and cxx were the file suffixes from the beginning, all would be consistent. However, there's too much water under that bridge, so there remains some disturbance in the force.

I think there's enough logic behind CXX/cxx for everything but the suffixes to choose that route.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components