Subject: Re: [boost] Slow Bugs Tracker
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-16 12:31:14

on Thu Mar 15 2012, Olaf van der Spek <ml-AT-vdspek.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> on Thu Mar 08 2012, Olaf van der Spek <ml-AT-vdspek.org> wrote:

>>> Good to hear. Who is we though?
>>> And why slowly?
>>
>> These are good questions.  Rene and I have been the primary
>> points-of-contact with OSUOSL, and we're busy.  It would be wonderful if
>> some other qualified person wanted to take over pushing this transition
>> forward.
>
> I'd be happy to help out.
>
> Is there a concrete plan?

Not a very concrete one. Someone needs to do some planning, too. IMHO,
we should set up Redmine at OSUOSL and make a transition to that almost
immediately, because the conversion can be pretty much automatic.

Beman is on the warpath (with my support) to transition us to Git in the
near future. It's not clear whether we will end up with a monolithic
transition (https://github.com/ryppl/boost-history) as a first step, or
whether we will go directly to a modularized setup
(https://github.com/boost-lib/boost/tree/master/libs).

That will require some work on the Redmine end, I expect. OSUOSL can
probably help us with some of the Redmine database rewrites that will be
required, but I am not sure of that.

At that point we should probably also give each library its own Redmine
project, or, if we are modularized at that point, possibly give library
maintainers the option to use the GitHub issue tracker associated with
the library's repository there.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone around here who expresses willingness to
make this transition happen (with help from others) and confidence in
his/her abilities to do it has my blessing. We may want to take a quick
vote in the steering committee to make sure the plan is "officially
blessed."

-Dave

--
Dave Abrahams