Subject: Re: [boost] [git] What's the IDE picture like?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-16 13:46:07

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 16 March 2012 17:01, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > All this talk about switching to git brings up one important question for
> > me, and I suspect others..
> >
> > Given all the various git-flow, git-this, git-that, git-whatever, tools
> > that are getting mentioned..
>
> If git-flow is used (and that's a big 'if'), you'll probably need to
> use the command line to do various operations.

Well.. That's what I was afraid of.

> What is the process for a user that wants to
> > do their development, including version control, like? Specifically what
> > does an:
> >
> > * Eclipse user do?
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/egit/

I've used it.. But I was hoping more for a "here's how to do the git-flow
equivalent in the base GUI tool".

> > * Xcode user do?
>
> Git is integrated into xcode 4.

I've used the svn integration.. And if that's any indication of the extent
of the git integration I don't look forward to that.

I guess the overall point I'm trying to say is that we have to think about
the fact that people will want to use what they are familiar with.. And no
amount of cajoling will change that. Just like no one used the manual
svn-merge tool when suggested (before it was integrated into svn). So I'm
reticent to require processes that require not generally available
steps/scripts/commands.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything