Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] [svn] How to remove V2 files without loss of V3 history?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-18 14:06:07

On 18 March 2012 17:36, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Sun Mar 18 2012, Daniel James <dnljms-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think so.  John's SVN->Git conversion knows about svn mv
>>> operations, but if you delete and recreate a file somewhere else it
>>> isn't going to realize you moved something.

I wasn't saying the file should be deleted and recreated. I was saying
that the file in the destination should be deleted in a revision
before the file is moved to that destination. So that git will
understand that they are different files. i.e.

svn rm boost/filesystem/path.hpp
svn commit
svn mv boost/filesystem/v3/path.hpp boost/filesystem/path.hpp
svn commit

(although obviously not doing a single file at a time)

>> It doesn't really matter whether the conversion understands 'svn mv',
>> since git doesn't track moves.
>
> No, it really does matter, at least for branch tracking.  We know git
> doesn't track moves, but the conversion does need to track svn cp and
> svn mv.

We're not talking about tacking branches. We're talking about
retaining the history of a moved file. Did you look at the examples I
posted? They illustrate the issue.