Subject: Re: [boost] Slow Bugs Tracker
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-19 13:14:17

on Mon Mar 19 2012, Olaf van der Spek <ml-AT-vdspek.org> wrote:

>>> I'd be happy to help out.
>>>
>>> Is there a concrete plan?
>>
>> Not a very concrete one.  Someone needs to do some planning, too.  IMHO,
>> we should set up Redmine at OSUOSL and make a transition to that almost
>> immediately, because the conversion can be pretty much automatic.
>
> Has the decision to move to Redmine been made (already)? Last time
> some were arguing Trac might be 'fine'.

We've also heard from people who say that they've never used a large
Trac installation that wasn't slow. I guess the steering committee
hasn't voted on this. If you want a formal decision before proceeding,
please request that Beman take a vote in the steering committee.

>> That will require some work on the Redmine end, I expect.  OSUOSL can
>> probably help us with some of the Redmine database rewrites that will be
>> required, but I am not sure of that.
>>
>> At that point we should probably also give each library its own Redmine
>> project, or, if we are modularized at that point, possibly give library
>> maintainers the option to use the GitHub issue tracker associated with
>> the library's repository there.
>
> Why not move to a GH tracker right away?

The main reasons:

1. We don't know that it's possible to preserve all the information from
   Trac in such a conversion.

2. GH trackers are not well-suited to multi-project repositories. Until
   we are modularized IMO it doesn't make sense.

3. Redmine (with the appropriate plugin) supports code review, whereas
   GitHub only supports change review. That's a significant and
   problematic difference where the formal review process is concerned.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing