Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 10:54:48

> On 20/03/2012 13:45, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> >> You should have used rebase to refresh your repository, not merge :)
> >>
> >> Also when things are really starting to look bad, your best help are
> >> two commands "git reflog" and "git reset --hard" :)
> >
> > Hmm strange - I never ran into something like that with SVN, where
> > somebody told me 'you should have done it this way and not that way'
> > (and yes, before you ask, I've had quite a bit of exposure to GIT
> myself).
> >
> > Let's face it, GIT is a usability nightmare (IMHO) and it will not
> > enable anything we couldn't do with SVN (or with Mercurial for that
> > matter) if we only wanted to (IHMO, at least I still have to see
> > somebody giving me that use case).
>
> If ability to do distributed development and scalability are not
> convincing arguments for you, I don't know what will.

Nobody has shown to me that SVN is not capable of doing this - or Mercurial
or ...put your favorite VCS name here...

If the community decides we need to switch, then GIT is definitely the worst
possible choice in terms of usability, code quality, error messages,
robustness, user friendliness, etc. Again, all of this IMHO.

> Yes you have to
> learn git in order to use it efficiently, just as you once learned basics
> of version control. Some of these basics no longer apply when you switch
> to DVCS and whilst some tools (e.g. hg) try to follow old habits, such
> approach brings its own idiosyncrasies (many heads to branch).

Sure. The question is whether you need to switch in the first place.

> Anyway I'm not going to try to convince anybody. There are people doing
> the work to ensure future scalability of boost version control, I'm
> grateful for that and not going to stifle the effort. There will be always
> people complaining about necessity to unlearn old habits and learn new
> tools, but I think in this case it's just this: necessity. I believe boost
> code base simply won't scale without better version control.

Your implicit assumptions related to my 'unwillingness' to learn new things
are wrong and I don't know where you got those from.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu