Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 11:26:30

> I am curios now ... I get the feeling that history rewriting is one of the
> git killer features. Can someone enlighten me what the fuss is about? What
> is the usecase?

http://sethrobertson.github.com/GitBestPractices/#sausage

Basically, it allows developpers to polish their commits before pushing so
the repository history looks very clean. No more "oops commits".

Very often in projects even with the best intentions you eventually do a
mistake and realise that this commits should have been appended to a
previous (unpushed) one, or that the commit message is innacurate, or
whatever. The hability to rewrite those commits without fear of losing
changes if you know the basics of getting out of trouble with git
(reflog+reset)) produces nice repository histories where it's much easier
to pick up on a new project aftwerwards.

Philippe